Saturday, September 14, 2013

Western restaurants

Given my inability to speak Chinese, I had a lot of trouble ordering food at ordinary Chinese restaurants. So, I often resorted to going to one of the several Western restaurants in Chengdu where I could always find someone who spoke enough English so that I could order.

The Bookworm, a fascinating place, was like a library inside with walls lined with books; The Shamrock was  a great Irish themed bar; Pete's Tex-Mex is kind of self-explanatory (tacos were good). I had a great conversation with the manager of the Shamrock, Danny, an African-American guy from LA. He said he an a degree in electrical engineering and was working in the LA area but was bored. Someone told him, he was young and should go have an adventure. So, he decided to go to China. He landed in Chengdu and got hooked into the expat community by playing rugby with the Shamrock team. He has a Chinese fiance and teaches English on the side. There was also a Hooter's and a Pizza Hut in Chengdu.



No comments:

Post a Comment